Saturday, October 27, 2012

Here Is An Email I Got From Representative Todd Rokita

 

Dear Ms. Blake,

Thank you for the opportunity to update you on the work of the 112th Congress. I trust this finds you and your family well.

For daily updates, please take a moment to "Like" my Facebook page by clicking here: .

This Week (Oct. 21-27)

On Wednesday morning, I joined Gov. Mitch Daniels and other state and local officials at a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Lafayette-to-Delphi segment of the Hoosier Heartland Highway. This was the culmination of a tremendous team effort that will result in safer travel and much bigger economic opportunities for the counties and communities served by the highway.

Earlier this year, I led a bipartisan group of Indiana’s congressional delegation in fighting to stop a proposed ban on federal funds being used under public-private partnership arrangements, including the Indiana East-West Toll Road. Through the state’s Major Moves program, the toll road deal freed up billions of dollars to fund other needed projects such as the Hoosier Heartland Highway.

For Wednesday’s celebration, I brought along my (and Kathy’s :-) ) 1973 Corvette that I have been restoring for the last five years. Most of it’s done now, but it appears to be a never-ending process. Anyway, Debbie Lowe from the Carroll County Comet got in and we helped lead the ceremonial caravan after we cut the ribbon. Here’s a photo of me with Delphi Mayor Randy Strasser at the event, and a photo of Debbie and me with my Corvette:

 10_24_12_Hoosier_Heartland_1_edit

 SAMSUNG

I also had the opportunity to visit with around 50 Hendricks Power Cooperative workers at an employee town hall meeting on Thursday, where I shared with them a presentation on our national debt and discussed solutions. It was a great discussion and I am always energized to hear common-sense solutions from Hoosiers:

 

Earlier in the week, I also attended the Tippecanoe County Right to Life’s annual Celebration of Life banquet, where I was able to catch up with many old friends. I am thankful for their partnership in the fight to defend the sanctity of life.

Last Week (Oct. 14-20)

I always enjoy talking with Hoosier business leaders and others around the Fourth District. Last week, I had the opportunity to spend time with leaders of Indiana’s auto industry. On Wednesday, I spoke to management and human resources employees at Meritor’s North American Site Management and Human Resources Management Summit about labor and workforce issues.

 10_17_12_Meritor_IMG_1658

As you likely know, Meritor operates a large “remanufacturing” facility in Plainfield producing brake pads and other remanufactured parts. Over the past year, I’ve worked closely with Meritor to get the federal government to purchase remanufactured parts. I was honored that Meritor and their trade association awarded me the MEMA Legislator of the Year award for my efforts.

I also spoke with the Indiana Automotive Council, a collaboration between industry, government and higher education that exists to grow and promote Indiana’s automotive industry. Representatives from Chrysler, Cummins, Delphi, General Motors, and many other companies were in attendance, and we talked about the looming “fiscal cliff” and the need for comprehensive tax reform.

Last Thursday, I visited with the Brownsburg Rotary Club to talk about spending and debt. A very special thanks to club member Merlin Outcalt for the invitation and to Club President Danielle Snyder for the hospitality. Here’s a photo from the visit:

 

_______________________________________________

I guess I am on a roll with politicians today. When I read this email some of it had a sound of “about me” to it.  Did it sound that way to you? When Rokita mentioned his Corvette, I thought “that has nothing to do with what i want to know.” I also thought I could do a better job then him. Man, do I need sabbatical now. I admit I need an attitude adjustment on politicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment